Coil framing nail guns are not so popular. Though it has some advantages over other framing nailers, people tend to choose other types. Bear with us till the end of Hitachi NV83A4 Coil Framing Nailer nail gun review and you’ll love this tool.At first, we want you to look at some advantages of using coil framing nailers.
- Coil guns are smaller and compact in size than stick guns. They are easy to use and give much control over the tool.
- These guns promise high performance with accuracy and speed. Coil nail guns can also load twice or thrice as much as nails than other nail guns.
- The body and other parts are made of durable materials that can take a beating at work.
Now, let’s have a look at the Hitachi NV83A4 quick specification.
“Disclaimer – Hitachi brand new name is Metabo HPT”
Power: Pneumatic (compressed air)
Weight: 8.2 lbs.
Dimension: 12.4” x 5.4” x 13.6” (L” x W” x H”)
Nail size: 2-3.25”
Magazine: 300 nails
Pressure: 70 to 120 psi
Warranty: Maximum 5 years
The main advantage of Hitachi coil nailer is in its magazine size. The magazine can load up to 300 nails at a time. The design allows you to load by side which is an easier and faster way to load. You can flip a switch to choose between sequential and contact nailing modes. The open nose design is there for fast nail removal. For more safety, NV83A4 has plastic shield that deflects wire collated nails.The tool-less feature for depth of drive adjusts the power in varying materials. For rapid response and greater durability, cylinder valve system is introduced in this Hitachi nailer.
Now, let’s get in details review of those features
Like other pneumatic framing nailers, Hitachi NV83A4 is powered by compressed air. Air compressors don’t cost much and a great help for some other jobs. Check our air compressor reviews to choose one for you if you already don’t have one.The working pressure of Hitachi framing nailer is 70 to 120 psi. You can adjust it as your job requires. This framing nailer is powerful enough to drive up to 3.25” nails easily.
Hitachi NV83A4 is a great framing nailer. It can drive nails from the length 2” to 3.25” and the diameter of the nails is .099″ – .131″. The magazine angle is 16-degree on the manual but verified customers recommend to use 15-degree nails.The capacity of the magazine is 300 nails. This helps you nail for a long period without loading. It is a bit heavier though. Heavy nail guns are steady but holding it for a long time can be difficult. Overall nailing experience is good enough.
This tool is quite easy to use because of its tool-free feature of depth adjustment and tool-free firing mode selection. There is a cylinder valve drive system which makes the tool great for rapid response and increased durability. The magazine is designed for side-loading for faster and easier loading nails. There is also an open nose mechanism for faster nail removal option when it is jammed. Hitachi framing nail gun has selective actuation switch for easy switching between sequential and contact firing modes. The tool-less depth adjustment feature is also something useful for quick air pressure control. We’re halfway through our review for Hitachi NV83A4 Coil Framing Nailer. Now, it’s time for pros and cons with solutions of Hitachi NV83A4 nailer.
- Tool-free mode switching
- Tool-free depth adjustment
- Rapid response mechanism
- Faster loading mechanism
- Easy nail removal when jammed
- Not working after bought
- Jammed once in a while
- Not reliable for everyday work
“Disclaimer – Hitachi brand new name is Metabo HPT”
Solution for the Cons
Some customers complained that their guns stopped working after some days of the purchase. It may be caused by various reasons. You can claim the warranty. Some also complained about warranty services. But being completely broke is reported one in maybe thousand purchases.Jamming is a common problem for nail guns. You may face the problem once or twice in 300 fires. Quick nail removal helps you solve the problem.Some customers said they couldn’t rely on this product for everyday use. But we say you can. Just oil the gun properly time to time, keep it clean, and you will have the best service out of it.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Does it fire round head nails?A: Yes, it fires regular round head framing nails.
- Q: Which nails should be used, 15-degree or 16-degree?A: 15-degree will be the one appropriate.
- Q: Is it okay to use Hitachi NV83A4 for fiber cement siding?A: We recommend you should not do that. This kind of work needs hand nail only. But if you still want to do that, you should lower the air pressure as low as possible.
- Q: What is the difference between the model NV83A and the model NV90A?A: NV83A is an older model and a bit heavier where NV90A is lighter.
- Q: Does NV83A4 fires .092 shank nails?A: Yes, it does.
- Q: Can anyone confirm if it’s a framing nailer or roofing nailer?A: It’s a framing nailer and does a wonderful job.
Hitachi makes great products. They have a lot of huge fans out there. But Hitachi NV83A4 Coil Framing Nailer has some serious complaint against it. We say if you really want to try out coil nailers made by Hitachi then go for it. But there are other coil framing nailers in our detailed reviews. Don’t hesitate to have a look at those.